The Decade in Review 2010-2020
Since 1968 I’ve been filling pages of a yearly diary. These books came from an insurance company in my home town of Ellenville, NY which is now owned by a high school friend of mine.
Every New Year’s Eve for 42 years after, I’d perform a “retirement ritual” where I would lay out all the past years’ journals, read through a few, add the current past year to the pile and return the entire collection to their well-protected memory box.
It was always so exciting starting a new book – so many empty pages yet to be filled and the smell of those brand new pages were both exciting and a bit terrifying.
Unfortunately, the company stopped giving away these books in 2010 and my annual ritual died. 10 years ago I purchased a new journal, but it wasn’t the same. I didn’t have nearly the amount of time to write in a personal journal, (I was an assistant edior writing daily about irrigation and erosion!) nor did I really find the need to use this method as a way to resolve emotional issues (mostly having to do with a variety of members of the opposite sex).
As a result, the journal I started in 2010 is just this year reaching the final few pages! Instead of having a year to reflect on, I have an entire decade! IN ONE BOOK. If I forget anything, there’s always FaceBook and Google Search to remind me, tools that really didn’t exist 10 years ago!
So, here it is.. My DECADE in review. Beginning with a “then and now” photo:
What a difference a decade makes! I’m sooo very thankful I do NOT have to make a New Year’s resolution to lose weight!
Here are the highlights of the past decade with hope the next 10 years and my next blank journal I will purchase tomorrow – will be just as exciting!
- Bill and I celebrate 30 YEARS of legal co-habitation!
- Kim and Justin get married
- Published “Undercover Reunion”
- First 50,000 words of Vashti’s Daughter
- Keynote Speaker at Care Giver Conference in Ellenville
- Lost 25 pounds on Weight Watchers
- Formed the Green Industry Speakers Bureau
- Finished first ½ Marathon
- First Grandson – Kim and Justin’s baby Julian born
- Started working for Weight Watchers
- Moved to Oxnard
- Finished 2nd ½ Marathon
- Michelle and Barak engaged
- Finished 3rd ½ Marathon with Michelle and Tandy in July
- 60th Birthday Celebration!
- Michelle and Barak get married
- Left WW – Published River Ridge Living
- Moved to Channel Islands Harbor
- Column “Heard It On the Grapevine” for Citizens Journal
- Finished 4th ½ marathon
- Granddaughter – Kim and Justin’s baby Calista born
- Tandy and Tim get married
- Finished first 5k marathon
- Tandy, Michelle and I see final performance of Les Miz on Broadway in NYC
- Michelle and Barak move to New Jersey
- Michelle and Barak get married
- Completed second 5K – Santa to the Sea on my birthday!
- Second Grandson born – Tandy and Tim have baby Derek
- Magazine Folded
- Started working for MK Marketing Brand Ambassador for Qunol
- Started working as a sales agent for SENTEXT text message marketing
- Moved to Camarillo
- Elected Chair of the Libertarian Party of Ventura County Chair
- Third Grandson (fourth grandchild) born – Michelle & Barak have baby Gideon
- Taped “Storyteller Project” a Hanukkah Miracle
- Forth Grandson (fifth grandchild) born – Tandy and Tim have baby Logan
TO BE CONTINUED………………………………..
- Posted in: Commentary